Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

Banchetto Street Fiesta at Ortigas Center

For some time now, I noticed that one side of Emerald Ave gets closed off every Friday night to make room for what looks to be a night market or bazaar. I never got to see what transpires in that area or what the night market was called, until last Friday. Apparently, this is the Banchetto, an early Saturday morning street fiesta filled with all sorts of food imaginable! Filipino food, street food, fresh vegetables, lutong bahay, international cuisine – you name it, you can probably find it at the Banchetto. I instantly regretted having a full dinner with my boyfriend because the sight and smell of all that food made me want to eat again! But all I could do was grab a cold fruit shake and take photos.
Creating of Takoyaki

The photos here aren’t the best because it was too crowded in the narrow alleys of the Banchetto to take decent pictures. Also, this is only but a very very small sample of the kinds of food you can expect! I have never heard of this takoyaki place before and I would have loved to have compared it with the takoyaki I’ve tried if I weren’t so full!


Dessert for only 100 Pesos
My jaw dropped when I saw how affordable the sushi was, and I ended up buying a mixed sushi plate for P120 to snack on the next day. I also bought chili crab at P170, which I will probably have for dinner tonight! Street food galore! My boyfriend hadn’t had kwek-kwek (fried quail eggs covered in batter) in ages, so he bought two small cups of it. Each cup cost P20 – a little more than what kwek-kwek normally costs. Then again, it’s not exactly easy to find in the middle of Ortigas center. There’s lots of lutong bahay you can have cooked in front of your eyes. And of course, dessert! These assortment of brownies, cupcakes, and cookies are 3 for P100.

Who says you can only eat puto bumbong during misa de gallo?
Puto Bumbong
If you want to partake of this lively feast, head over to Emerald Avenue by midnight and wait until the stalls open. Or visit the Banchetto at Multiply to inquire about how you can make your goods available at the largest weekly food fair in the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment